|My probably illegible to anyone but myself math.|
|Close up of ruffle|
|Using the measurement card to get a general idea of |
the ruffle widths.
It starts out at just over 1" wide near the top and progressively grows until it reaches somewhere between 3 3/4" and 4" round the bottom. I'll need to hem both sides of the ruffle with a tiny rolled hem so will need to add a touch of seam allowance. I'll also need to be sure that the varying widths are in the appropriate spots post gathering to the apron. I did some more math and sketched out the pieces, then decided to just cut!
After cutting all of my pieces, I happened to toss one of the cut ruffles on my yellow striped gown (which happened to be nearby).
Oh man. The oyster color of my apron fabric doesn't look so fabulous next to the yellow and white stripe. I am in love with everything about this fabric, though- the stripe, the hand, the weight. But if I'm going to be able to happily wear this apron with that gown I think I need it to be whiter.
Before going crazy, I took a scrap of the striped muslin and did a tester in a light bleach bath. So far so good:
|You can see the original oyster colored muslin on top.|
Lightly bleached version on the bottom.
The bath was enough to brighten the fabric from the oyster to a somewhat brighter white (it's not optical white, by any means, and in person there is just a slight difference) but it's enough to make it look less washed out next to the yellow gown. I love how crisp and striking the stripes turned out, also.
I'm currently soaking the apron body in the light bath (I have extra fabric in case it goes horribly awry!) and I'll soak the ruffle pieces next. I've already sewn the ruffle together (because I was impatient) so it just needs hemming... lots of hemming... and I'll be well on my way to my first really fancy, dressy apron.